Nyonya Apom Beras @ Nyonya Pancake 娘惹米糕
Alan @ Travelling Foodies. Apom its originated from traditional Indian cooking which the texture is quite similar to 'dosai' and it is both made of fermented rice batter as well. However, nyonya version is a bit thicker more alike to the western pancake and it is usually serve with sweetened banana gravy (kuah pengat pisang). Please read on for more.
Ingredients for Apom batter :
5gm instant yeast
1 tspn sugar
60ml warm water
300gm rice flour
1/2 TB glutinous rice flour
1/2 TB tapioca flour
1/2 tspn salt
500ml coconut milk
60gm rice flour
410ml coconut water
3 pandan leaves, knotted
(1) mix together ingredients (A) and let to rest for 15 minutes or till frothy.
(2) combine ingredients (B) into a big mixing bowl and stir till well cooperated.
(3) stir ingredients (C) till well mixed then heat over medium flame till mixture became smooth paste, leave aside to lukewarm.
(5) when ready, heat up an apom mould if you have one, otherwise heat up an frying pan, rub the surface with some cooking oil.
(6) withdraw 1/2 cup of apom batter and stir in blue pea flower concentrated water or a few drops of blue food colouring. Mix well.
(7) pour 2 tablespoon of batter to pan and let to cook uncovered, over medium heat till bubbles appear. Then put 1 TB of blue pea batter on each apom and swirl gently with wooden chopstick.
Happy weekend to all and hope you guys are going to have fantastic week ahead. Blessings