Homemade Seafood Otak-Otak

Otak-otak is so famous around my living area and if I ever want to eat the fresh ones I could just travel 45 mins drive to get them fresh from the factory. However, I still be able to get really nice & delicious store bought otak-otak here as well. So, can save up some petrol. :o) Otak-otak is a spiced mixed fish paste wrapped in banana leaf or coconut leaf then steamed before grill. The deliciousness of this spicy mixed seafood is came from all the mixing spices which I love especially lemongrass, kaffir leaves & bunga kantan (ginger flower). It is simply addictive. And this is my first attempt trying to make my own at home. Its as easy as I think. Just count 1...2....3... and its done. haha.....

(recipe adapted from Veron)
Ingredients for blended paste :
10  red chilies, seeded & sliced
2 stalk  lemongrass, sliced
5 petal   bunga kantan (ginger flower)
10  candle nuts, pound & roasted
5 gloves  garlic
5 shallots, sliced
1 knob  turmuric (2"), cut small
1 piece   shrimp paste (belacan)

Method : blend everything together to form fine paste.

Ingredients for otak-otak :
500gm  mackerel fillet
200gm  prawns, shelled & devein
200ml   thick coconut milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
8 pieces  kaffir leaves, thinly sliced
1/2 tspn  ground pepper
1/2 tspn  salt
1/2 tspn  sugar

Method :
(1) divide fish fillet into two portions, break one portion into mashed meat and then cut the other portion into chunk meat.
(2) now, combine all the ingredients including the blended paste and mix well.

(3) for a quickie, pour the mixture to a 8" round plate lined with banana leaf.then cover the top with another leaf.

(4) finally, steamed for about 20-25 mins over high heat or till the center is set.

When its ready ! You can serve hot on the table or you can use it for any other recipe purposes. Now, is it as easy as 1...2...3... !!!!

Oh my....oh my.... I can easily polish off the whole plate all by myself. I think it would be so scrumptious to go along with some nasi lemak or coconut rice too. YUmmmm..... I have to thank Veron for such beautiful recipe. Hope you guys will like it too ! By the way, don't forget about the giveaway.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...