200gm dried chili, halved
1 inch ginger, sliced
5 shallots, sliced
5 cloves garlic
2 cups cooking oil
(1) soak dried chili till softened (for about 4 hours or more with warm water, do not use hot water) then blend all soaked chili, ginger, shallot & garlic till smooth.
(2) preheat frying pan with cooking oil then stir in all blended chili mixture and let to simmer over medium heat for about 15-20 mins or till the chili mixture turned dark red colour.
(3) then let cooked chili cool to room temperature, divide into 4 portions and keep refrigerated, for storage keep frozen for months.
And here's what I did.
1-2/3 to 2 cups homemade chili boh
(also equal to one portion of the above homemade chili boh)
50gm dried anchovies, washed then fried till brown
50gm dried shrimp, soaked for an hour then fried till brown
1 large onion, sliced
1 cup cooking oil
1 tspn vegetable granule
1 TB sugar
salt to taste
(1) blend together fried anchovies & fried dried shrimps with 1 to 1-1/2 cup of water till fine.
(2)preheat frying pan with cooking oil then stir in onion once it's ready.
(3) saute onion till fragrant then add in the rest ingredients and simmer for about 15-20 mins by stirring it constantly or till the sambal became thick or turn dark red colour. And it's ready to serve.
For storage : keep refrigerated all times & reheat whenever it's needed.
I'm sending this to Sharon @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday.