Kefir Wild Yeast ~ Steamed Sponge Cake

My 2nd kefir wild yeast project ~ steamed 'Ma Lai Go' or sponge cake, and this is also my number 500th blog post within 2++ years time and going to celebrate my 3rd blogiversary soon as well. Yay ! (clap clap clap) Unbelievable....I can't believe it I can make it this far.WOW! OK enough for that. Let's go back to the recipe. I actually already have two other versions of this cake (here & here) and they are both incredibly good. And this one here looks even fluffier.

(Recipe adapted Catherine lau)
Ingredients :
Starter Dough :
200gm  all purpose flour
150ml   homemade kefir drinks / enzyme juice (at room temperature)

Main Batter :
150gm   palm sugar (red sugar/raw sugar)
150gm  brown sugar
6 large eggs
1/4 tspn  salt
40gm    all purpose flour
20gm    corn flour
40gm    custard powder

Final Mixture :
60ml   corn oil
1 tspn  baking powder
1 tspn  baking soda

Method :
(1)  combine starter dough ingredients and mix well, set aside and let to ferment for 4 hours. (I made it over night, so that I could get it done by the next evening)
(2)  then beat egg & starter dough and both sugar till sugar well dissolved. (best to melt the sugar first which I didn't.)
(3)  now, beat together the remaining flour, corn flour, custard powder & salt till everything well combined.
(4)  again set the mixture aside (cover with lid) for final fermentation for about 8 hours (mine is 7 hours).
(5)  finally, mix in the final ingredients and stir well.
(6) pour batter to a 9" tray lined with parchment paper, cover the top with aluminium foil and steamed for about 35 mins over high heat.
(7) once ready, leave cool completely before slicing it.

WOW, actually I didn't even expect the cake risen so perfectly. The lid almost fell off while half way steaming it. :o)

But one thing I am not very happy about this cake is the bottom layer of the cake cause I was expecting something like this here.  Maybe I should melt the sugar from the beginning and leave the batter to rest on the baking tray for 10 mins just before steaming it. Am still looking forward to one more try. Wish me luck!
*
I'm sending this to Wild Yeast @ Yeastspotting.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...