Savory Steamed Taro Cake

I super love this savory steamed taro cake but don't make it often cause non of my family members like having it.... what I mean is my kids! Hubby likes it but not a big fan of it. So, I will have to think twice whenever I planned for one..... a really small portion one. :o(  Frankly, I don't really adored the southern part savory taro cake. They taste so different from the northern part. I prefer the cake in brighter colour. It looks more appetizing in this way. So, here's my dream cake.

Ingredients :
(A)
300gm   taro, cubed
1/2 cup   water
1-1/2 cube   red fermented beancurd
1 tspn    chinese 5 spice
1/2 tspn  pepper

(B)
150gm   rice flour
2 tbsp   tapioca flour
2 tspn  salt
1 tbsp  sugar
200ml   water
100gm  black eye pea, cooked

(C)
5 shallots, thinly sliced
100gm   dried shrimp, soaked & then pounded
*sliced spring onion & red chili for decorations

Method :
(1) preheat frying pan/wok with enough oil for frying the taro cube.
(2) once the taro is done, stir in red fermented beancurd, chinese 5 spice & pepper and saute till fragrant. (*withdraw some oil away from the pan if it's too much)
(3) next withdraw half of the taro and set aside, then add in 1/2 cup water and let simmer till soft. Off the heat, once it's done.
(4) now, combine ingredients (B) together with the mashed taro, the remaining fried taro & black eye pea then simmer over medium flame till thick.
(5) next, transfer the thick paste to a 6 or 7" oil based tray.
(6) finally, steamed for 30 mins over high heat.
(7) once it's done, set aside to cool before placing in the topping.

**For the preparation of black eye pea : soaked the BYP with enough water for an hour then place it to a small pot with loads of water. Let it simmer till soft, roughly about an hour. Then drain.

Isn't the topping looks very tempting to you? Hmmm....mmm.... I think it looks beautiful. Now how you prepare the topping. Preheat enough oil, stir in sliced shallots once the oil is hot enough. Let the shallots fry till light brown colour then add in pounded dried shrimps, only then switch to low heat. And continue frying till fragrant and nicely brown & crunchy. Finally, drain the fried shallots & dried shrimps over a kitchen paper tower before placing them to the cake.

Ta...Da.... Here's the cake! I really enjoy the addition of black eye pea. It's really  delicious. I hope you guys will love it too.
*
I'm sending this to Suresh & Shaz @ Malaysian Muhibbah Monday.
(asian cuisine, kuih, snack)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...